Job Announcement: Executive Director
Wilderness Southeast (WiSE) is seeking a full time executive director. WiSE is a non-profit educational organization with a mission to develop appreciation, understanding and enjoyment of the natural world, and to instill a strong sense of environmental stewardship. Since 1973 WiSE has pursued its mission by offering a unique suite of programs that allow individuals, families, organized groups, and school classes the opportunity to explore the matchless habitats of the coastal plain and islands of Georgia and South Carolina. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for WiSE’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business plans, and will represent WiSE to the larger community.
Leadership & Management:
- Carry out the business of the organization in an ethical and financially responsible manner. Ensure sound fiscal management, financial stability and compliance with Federal, state and local regulations and reporting requirements.
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize WiSE’s volunteers, board members, event committees, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, advise and support a strong board of directors, seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as for the national rollout.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain WiSE’s staff and management team. Hire staff as appropriate.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and regional expansion. Fundraising includes preparing competitive grant proposals.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Planning & New Business:
- Design and complete the strategic business planning process for the program expansion into new markets.
- Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders and political and community leaders.
- Be an external local and regional presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional replication.
- The ED will be thoroughly committed to WISE’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Minimum BA degree (Masters or higher preferred) with at least 5 years of experience and a track record of effective leadership.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget that exhibits fiscal responsibility.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Ability to cultivate existing board member relationships, as well as to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Computer literate, cross-platform preferred (MS Office, Google docs, graphic design)
WiSE’s Board of Directors has established a selection committee to review applications and interview potential candidates. The entire Board of Directors will interview the final candidates and select the next Executive Director. The salary range is $36,000 - $42,000 and will be commensurate with experience.
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae and the names and contact information of at least three references. The materials should be sent to WiSE by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about WiSE and its programs please visit the WiSE website at: http://www.wilderness-southeast.org or call (912) 236-8115.
Applications should be received by April 30, 2012. However, the position will remain open until filled; please check with us if you miss this deadline.
WISE is an equal opportunity employer.